The Hudson community is largely forgotten today, but in the 1870s and 1880s some of the first commercial shrimpers in McIntosh County, mostly local freedmen, made it a thriving African-American enclave. This venerable structure is among its last tangible landmarks.
A mission of the Union Brothers & Sisters was established here in 1887. The present structure, thought to date to circa 1900, was built to replace the original, which was lost to fire. It also served as a schoolhouse for a time. The last owners were the Hudson Home Society, a fraternal group who assisted local African-Americans with burial insurance.