The lower sixty feet of this lighthouse date to John Mulryne’s construction of 1773, itself a replacement for two previous lighthouses (the first of which was built for James Oglethorpe, in 1736). So strategic and important to the future growth of Georgia was the placement of a lighthouse at the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Savannah River that General Oglethorpe threatened to hang the incompetent builder of the first beacon. Numerous modifications and additions have been made over the ensuing two centuries.
The head lightkeeper’s house, seen below, was built in 1881.
National Register of Historic Places