The two slave cabins seen here and below were part of the historic Gascoigne Bluff plantation of Scottish immigrant James Hamilton. Hamilton’s vast acreage of long staple Sea Island cotton was labor intensive and therefore he was a large slaveholder.
The Cassina Garden Club of St. Simons began meeting here in 1932 and took deed to the property in 1950. They maintain the structures and the grounds beautifully.
Seen below is the larger old style tabby used in the slave cabins.
National Register of Historic Places