Also known as the Cassels-Martin House, this stately Italianate landmark was built by Richard Baxter Cassels on his father’s (Thomas Quarterman Cassels) plantation not long after the Civil War. He reared a family of six here and the home remained in the family and was used as a summer home for many years thereafter.
It is relatively unchanged from its original appearance, as the vintage photo (circa 1900-10) below would suggest. The barn with the cupola to the east of the house is no longer present.
Photo Source: Virginia Fraser Evans, Liberty County: A Pictorial History, Hinesville, 1979.