This remote community was first settled in the 1880s by James H. Young and Samuel B. Rowe, son of Fred and Margaret Young Rowe. Because it was located on high ground in a low-lying swamp, it came to be known as Youngs Island. Farming and rice cultivation were the primary economic focus of the area until the Warsaw Lumber Company sawmill provided employment in the 1920s. The church was likely established around 1920, as that is the date of the earliest marked burial in the cemetery.
Category Archives: -MCINTOSH COUNTY
On the Townsend-Jones road, a sandy washboard that cuts through the middle of nowhere, the only evidence of human presence is a limitless supply of hand-painted signs that mark hunting leases with names like Canal Cut Thru and Rocking Chair. But a few miles in, there’s an unusual brick structure, decidedly out of place. It’s the last tangible evidence of the logging settlement known as Warsaw, so busy at one time that the Seaboard Air Line Railroad ran track through here.
A sawmill and an office were the centerpiece of the community, which was established in 1925. It was essentially a work camp that likely included employee housing. In 1934, a 12-foot flywheel disengaged during operation, ripped the mill apart, and started a fire. The operation continued, on a smaller scale, until 1936. All that remains today is the company vault.