Though the present structure dates to 1990, it appears to have retained the steeple of an earlier incarnation. The congregation dates to 1904.
The Hudson community is largely forgotten today, but in the 1870s and 1880s some of the first commercial shrimpers in McIntosh County, mostly local freedmen, made it a thriving African-American enclave. This venerable structure is among its last tangible landmarks.
A mission of the Union Brothers & Sisters was established here in 1887. The present structure, thought to date to circa 1900, was built to replace the original, which was lost to fire. It also served as a schoolhouse for a time. The last owners were the Hudson Home Society, a fraternal group who assisted local African-Americans with burial insurance.