Category Archives: Nicholsonville GA

Nicholsonboro Baptist Church, 1890, Chatham County

200 former slaves from Jacob Waldburg’s plantation on St. Catherines Island first settled in the White Bluff area between the Little Ogeechee and Vernon Rivers in 1868. After purchasing 200 acres from John Nicholson in 1878, the community was first known as Nicholsonboro, then Nicholsonville. A church was established here by 1883 and the original (not pictured) still stands in poor but stable condition. The present structure, dating to circa 1890, is the most significant remaining landmark of the historic community.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Nicholsonville GA