Category Archives: Tybee Island GA

Fort Screven Fire House, 1910, Tybee Island

The old post firehouse is now home to the Tybee Arts Association and the Jim Ingham Black Box Theatre.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA

Fort Screven Bakery, 1925, Tybee Island

The post bakery has served as a private residence for many years.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA

Non-Commissioned Officers Latrine, Circa 1920, Tybee Island

This is one of numerous support structures transformed into private residences after 1945, when Fort Screven was declared surplus by the War Department.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA

Fort Screven Batteries, 1899, Tybee Island

Battery Brumby [completed 1899] was the largest of Fort Screven’s complex of gun emplacements. Constructed between 1897-1900. the batteries [Brumby, Garland, Fenwick, Backus, Gant, and Habersham] served as coastal fortifications during the Spanish-American War. Between the world wars, the artillery was removed and melted for further use.

Battery Garland [completed 1899] now houses the Tybee Island Museum, operated by the Tybee Island Historical Society.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA

Dolphin Tours & Shrimp Boats, Tybee Island

Lazaretto Creek GA Tybee Island Chatham County Captain Mikes Dolphin Tour Boats Ecotourism Coco's Bar Seafood Picture Image Photograph © Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2013

Lazaretto Creek is located on the edge of Tybee Island and can be accessed at the Lazaretto Creek Fishing Pier off U. S. Highway 80 or just over the Lazaretto Creek Bridge. It’s a great area for tourists and locals alike to stop and take in the salt marsh scenery. Georgia’s endangered shrimping industry is usually represented with a few boats and Captain Mike’s bright yellow Dolphin boats (in business since 1992) herald a boom in ecotourism. It’s really a nice contrast between old and new.

Lazaretto Creek GA Tybee Island Chatham County Shrimp Boats Savannah Confederate Flag Atlantic Ocean Tidal Creek Salt Marsh Seafood Picture Image Photograph © Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2013

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Tybee Island GA

Tybee Light, 1773, & Head Keeper’s House, 1881

The lower sixty feet of this lighthouse date to John Mulryne’s construction of 1773, itself a replacement for two previous lighthouses (the first of which was built for James Oglethorpe,  in 1736). So strategic and important to the future growth of Georgia was the placement of a lighthouse at the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Savannah River that General Oglethorpe threatened to hang the incompetent builder of the first beacon. Numerous modifications and additions have been made over the ensuing two centuries.

http://www.tybeelighthouse.org/index.htm

The head lightkeeper’s house, seen below, was built in 1881.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Tybee Island GA

Tybee Lite Shrine Club

Located in a section of the old Fort Screven complex, the Tybee “Lite” Shrine Club pays homage to the famous lighthouse just across the street.

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Tybee Island GA