Category Archives: Youngs Island GA

Church of God, 1965, Youngs Island

This remote community was first settled in the 1880s by James H. Young and Samuel B. Rowe, son of Fred and Margaret Young Rowe. Because it was located on high ground in a low-lying swamp, it came to be known as Youngs Island. Farming and rice cultivation were the primary economic focus of the area until the Warsaw Lumber Company sawmill provided employment in the 1920s. The church was likely established around 1920, as that is the date of the earliest marked burial in the cemetery.

Leave a comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Youngs Island GA

Hall and Parlor House, Circa 1900, Youngs Island

Leave a comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Youngs Island GA