Tag Archives: Architecture of Charles Alling Gifford

Club House Annex, 1901, Jekyll Island

Growth of the Jekyll Island Club around the turn of the century necessitated the need for more space. Charles Alling Gifford designed these condominiums to meet that need.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Jekyll Island Club Stables, 1897

The stables for the Jekyll Island Club were designed by Charles Alling Gifford, a favored architect of the club membership. The facility has served as a museum for many years and was recently rebranded as Mosaic, the Jekyll Island Museum.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Glynn County Courthouse, 1907, Brunswick

Set among a grove of live oaks, the old Glynn County Courthouse was designed by well-known architect Charles Alling Gifford (1860-1937). The location is Magnolia Square, one of the historic lots set aside for housing livestock as a community pasture. Though now replaced by a modern courthouse on an adjacent street, this landmark still serves government purposes.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Sans Souci Boiler House, 1896, Jekyll Island

Originally used to supply heat to the adjacent Sans Souci Apartments, the old boiler house is now home to the Island Sweets Shoppe.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Mistletoe, 1900, Jekyll Island

Charles Alling Gifford built Mistletoe in the Dutch Colonial Revival style for Pittsburgh manufacturer and U. S. Congressman Henry Kirke Porter. Upon Porter’s death, John Claflin purchased Mistletoe. Claflin was an original member of the Jekyll Island Club.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Sans Souci Apartments, 1896, Jekyll Island

J. P. Morgan headed a coporation of six club members including James J. Hill, Pierre Lorilard, William Rockefeller, J. A. Scrymser, and Frederick G. Bourne that built Sans Souci and held joint ownership. Each of the three floors contained two apartments. Sans Souci (meaning “no worries”) is considered to be one of the first condominiums ever built in the United States.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

3 Comments

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA