Tag Archives: Boarding Houses & Hotels of Coastal Georgia

Riverview Hotel, 1916, St. Marys

The historic Riverview Hotel rests on the banks of the St. Marys River. It’s the hotel nearest to the Cumberland Island Ferry and Visitor Center for Cumberland Island National Seashore. It has been owned and operated by the Brandon Family since the 1920′s. Sallie Brandon purchased the Hotel with the help of her two sisters, Miss Semora and Miss Ethel.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Spencer House, 1872, St. Marys

Built in 1872, Spencer House was, in its time, distinguished as the finest hotel in St. Marys and southeast Georgia. Today it is an exquisitely preserved example of Victorian-era architecture. Spencer House is named for Captain William T. Spencer who, along with his wife Harriet Louise, built the hotel while he was serving as the collector of customs for the port of St. Marys from 1871 to 1873. Today, it serves its original purpose once again as a bed and breakfast.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Camden Hotel, 1935, Kingsland

The old Camden Hotel was renovated for use as the City Hall in 1993.

Kingsland Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, Kingsland GA

Baker House, White Oak

Also known as the Baker-Harrell House, this was originally operated as a boarding house/hotel by G. V. Baker. One source dates it to 1890 and another to 1910.

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, White Oak GA