Originally located on Main Street, this depot was moved to its present location around 2005. The Flemington, Hinesville & Western had a line that ran five miles to the McIntosh community via Flemington and though intended to run as far as Glennville, never completed that route. It was renamed the Savannah, Hinesville & Western in 1916 and by 1917 was out of business as a commercial carrier. It was purchased by the Dunlevie Lumber Company in 1917 and operated as a lumber road for several years thereafter. It is presently home to a printing business.
Tag Archives: Depots & Railroadiana of Coastal Georgia
Recently moved and restored through grants from the Georgia Department of Transportation and the U. S. Department of Agriculture, the Kingston Depot now serves as the downtown welcome center. It’s so nice to see small communities restoring these icons of the railroad era and understanding the impact they have on tourism.
Kingston Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Abandoned by Seaboard Coast Line Railroad in the 1980s, the trestle/swing bridge seen here dates to the days of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and in the heyday of passenger trains, carried the Orange Blossom Special and other legendary passenger cars. It’s the most prominent landmark at the Altamaha River Park.
The bridge is also a popular landmark for boaters traveling down the Altamaha to the coast.
Originally built as the Grand Opera House and headquarters of the Brunswick & Birmingham Railroad, the Ritz Theatre is now maintained by the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association. The Fox Theatre Institute was a primary supporter of the effort to relight its historic sign, and a huge crowd was on hand for the ceremony.