Tag Archives: Endangered Places of Coastal Georgia

Central Hallway House, Brunswick

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Hall-and-Parlor Cottage, 1932, St. Simons Island

A scattering of historic vernacular homes such as this one in the South End community still survive on the island, but they can all be considered endangered in that present development trends show little interest in historic styles.

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

Savannah Powder Magazine, 1898

Designed at the behest of Mayor P. W. Meldrim by Eichberg & Witcover, the architects also responsible for Savannah City Hall, the municipal powder magazine was built by John R. Eason. On average, it provided safe storage for 96,000 pounds of black powder and 8,500 pounds of dynamite. The 15-acre property originally contained a keeper’s cottage, as well.

Abandoned since 1963, it’s the last surviving municipal powder magazine in Georgia. Because of its fortress-like construction, including 3-foot-thick walls, it’s considered the sturdiest structure in Chatham County. This has insured its survival over the years, but today its future is uncertain.

Though concealed in overgrown woods, it is located in a busy and rapidly growing area of the city.

Homeless people have been known to use the facility for shelter and there always seems to be some amount of debris inside.

A Powder Magazine Park Commission was created by Tommy Holland to explore viable alternatives for the preservation of the property, and after years of neglect, it appears serious work is being done to move forward. Mr. Holland notes that the Savannah Powder Magazine Facebook page is the best source for updates on the project.

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Abandoned House, Everett City

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Everett City GA

Gable Front House, Liberty County

Leave a comment

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY

Sheppard’s Grocery, 1940s, Allenhurst

Darrell Sheppard writes: The old building in Allenhurst was Sheppard’s Grocery. It was built by Troy Allen Sheppard, Sr., after leaving Willie, Georgia, in the 1940s. It had the living quarters in the rear. After his death in 1967 Troy Sheppard, Jr., opened an auto electric repair and operated it until his death in 1991. It now belongs to Darrell Sheppard.

Leave a comment

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY, Allenhurst GA

Lanier, Georgia

Located between Pembroke and Ellabell on US 280, Lanier was established in 1893 and a post office operated here until 1955.

One viewer has identified this as the Stubbs turpentine commissary, but I can’t confirm that at this time.

1 Comment

Filed under -BRYAN COUNTY, Lanier GA