Tag Archives: Fishing in Coastal Georgia

Thomas Landing, McIntosh County

Thomas Landing, on the South Newport River, has been occupied since the early days of Colonial Georgia and its history is indelibly linked to the hundreds of African-Americans who resided here. They first landed here against their will but after Emancipation chose to remain, only to have their land taken from them by the United States government in the 1930s.

Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge

Leave a comment

Filed under --MCINTOSH COUNTY GA--, Harris Neck GA

Back River & Hammock, Glynn County

This is the Back River marsh [at high tide] on the north side of the F. J. Torras Causeway heading to St. Simons Island from Brunswick. I tried to find a name for the hammock, but couldn’t locate one. At this location, the Back River flows into Terry Creek and some of the residential marshlands of Brunswick.

1 Comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--

Hampton River Marina, St. Simons Island

This modern marina on the Hampton River serves the north end of St. Simons Island.

Leave a comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, St. Simons Island GA

George’s Bait, Glynn County

Thousands of tourists pass by this sign regularly without giving it much notice. It’s on the southbound side of the Torras Causeway and is inconvenient if you’re heading onto the island. But legions of local fishermen will tell you George’s Bait is the best place to get bait in all of Glynn County.

The late George Bennett began a bait business on the other side of the Torras Causeway in 1953 which quickly earned a reputation as the best in the area. In the 1970s, with the four-laning of the causeway, the business moved here, to this tiny hammock in the marsh between Brunswick and St. Simons Island. Shirley Bennett, her son, daughter, and other relatives have kept the business thriving over the years.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA, St. Simons Island GA

Pine Harbor Marina, McIntosh County

I understand that the marina has been located here since at least the 1960s but considering how long there has been an active fishing community at Pine Harbor, it’s probably not the first.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MCINTOSH COUNTY GA--, Pine Harbor GA

Fishing Camp Cabins, Circa 1915, Pine Harbor

These are three of the surviving seven cabins built for the Pine Harbor Fishing Camp, established circa 1915.

The last two pictured here seem to be in the most original condition.

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under --MCINTOSH COUNTY GA--, Pine Harbor GA

Harbor House Restaurant, Pine Harbor

Built as a residence in 1930 and now used for that purpose again, this is best remembered as John Arthur and Bootsie Dasher’s Harbor House Restaurant.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MCINTOSH COUNTY GA--, Pine Harbor GA

Sapelo River, Pine Harbor

Leave a comment

Filed under --MCINTOSH COUNTY GA--, Pine Harbor GA

Tybee Pier & Pavilion, 1996

The Central of Georgia Railroad built a line to Tybee Island in 1887 and to meet the demands of a growing number of tourists constructed the first public pier on the island in 1891. This was influential in transforming Tybee into the popular destination it is today. In the 1930s and 1940s the Tybrisa Pavilion, as it came to be known, was a popular spot on the Big Band circuit, hosting all the big names of the day.

The Tybrisa Pavilion burned in 1967 and was replaced by the present pier and pavilion in 1996. It has reclaimed its place as one of the most popular spots on Tybee.

It’s also a good spot for nearshore fishing, but shark fishing is prohibited.

Leave a comment

Filed under --CHATHAM COUNTY GA--, Tybee Island GA

Yellow Bluff Company Store, Circa 1924, Liberty County

The Yellow Bluff Fishing Camp’s iconic company store survives despite being surrounded by modern development. Such structures were once common at fishing camps throughout Coastal Georgia but nearly all of them have disappeared today, due largely to changing land use. The Yellow Bluff Company established the fishing camp here in 1923 and the store was operating within the first year.

1 Comment

Filed under --LIBERTY COUNTY GA--, Colonel's Island GA