Tag Archives: Fort Screven GA

Non-Commissioned Officers Latrine, Circa 1920, Tybee Island

This is one of numerous support structures transformed into private residences after 1945, when Fort Screven was declared surplus by the War Department.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA

Fort Screven Batteries, 1899, Tybee Island

Battery Brumby [completed 1899] was the largest of Fort Screven’s complex of gun emplacements. Constructed between 1897-1900. the batteries [Brumby, Garland, Fenwick, Backus, Gant, and Habersham] served as coastal fortifications during the Spanish-American War. Between the world wars, the artillery was removed and melted for further use.

Battery Garland [completed 1899] now houses the Tybee Island Museum, operated by the Tybee Island Historical Society.

Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Fort Screven GA, Tybee Island GA