Tag Archives: –GLYNN COUNTY GA–

Chicota Cottage Swimming Pool & Ruins, Jekyll Island

Along with one of the Corinthian lions that once guarded the property, these ruins and the abandoned swimming pool are all that remain of Edwin Gould’s beloved Chicota College.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Servants Housing, 1890, Jekyll Island

Now used as offices of the Jekyll Island Authority, these two structures provided housing for servants of the wealthy families who vacationed here during the Club Era.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Baker-Crane Carriage House, 1886, Jekyll Island

One of the few remaining structures of the Jekyll Island Club which hasn’t been restored, the carriage house used by the Baker and Crane families appears to have at least been stabilized. The upper floor was used to house the carriage drivers and handlers and the lower flower was for storage of carriages and stabling of horses. It was also occasionally used as a social hall for staff of these families.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Jekyll Island Club Stables, 1897

The stables for the Jekyll Island Club were designed by Charles Alling Gifford, a favored architect of the club membership. The facility has served as a museum for many years and was recently rebranded as Mosaic, the Jekyll Island Museum.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Cherokee, 1904, Jekyll Island

Cherokee was built for Jekyll Island Club member Dr. George Frederick Shrady between 1903-1904. Dr. Shrady was one of President Ulysses S. Grant’s last physicians. It was later owned by Dr. Walter Belknap James. One of the most beautifully proportioned cottages in the Millionaire’s Village, it is now a property of the Jekyll Island Club Resort.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Glynn Ice Company Ruins, 1920, Brunswick

R. C. Baumgartner established the Glynn Ice Company in 1903. It was first located on Grant Street, then Newcastle. With an output of 75 tons per day, it was one of the most successful businesses in Brunswick. Baumgartner sold it to F. D. M. Strachan in 1912, and it was relocated here in 1920. Coal delivery was added to the business at that time. F. D. Aiken purchased the ice company in 1930 and changed the name to Glynn Ice & Coal Company. Modern appliances put an end to the day-to-day delivery of ice by the end of World War II, but bulk customers such as shrimpers and other fishermen kept the business afloat. The business closed permanently in 1982 and the building fell into ruin. It was scheduled for demolition by the city but in 2001, Keith Missildine, a Brunswick native with preservation experience, successfully petitioned the city to purchase and restore the property. One structure was saved and restored as a residence, and the remainder was stabilized, as seen today. I’m unsure what has come of plans to restore the building as office space, but at least it has survived with some of its original character intact.

Thanks to Kristen Knost for sharing her photographs and the location on the Vanishing Georgia Facebook group.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

ARCO Administration Building, Circa 1919, Brunswick

This was the main office of the Atlantic Refining Company/Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO), which operated an oil refinery in Brunswick from 1919-1935. it was one of the largest employers in Brunswick and built an entire village to support its operations, albeit a segregated one. Subsequent owners of the property were Georgia Power, Dixie Paint, and two chemical companies, and years of unchecked pollution led to the classification of much of the property as a Superfund site. Honeywell, the present owners, are involved in ongoing cleanup and reclamation of the property and surrounding estuary.

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA