Tag Archives: Historic Markers of the Georgia Coast

Brunswick-St. Simons Causeway Marker, 1950

Brunswick St Simons Island F J Torras Causeway Historic Marker Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

This rarely noticed historic marker beside the Visitor’s Club gives some insight as to the history of the busy F. J. Torras Causeway connecting the mainland to St. Simons Island. The route was named in honor of longtime Brunswick engineer Fernando Joseph Torras in 1953. Torras was the engineer of the original modern causeway, built in 1923, built by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Works. The larger plaque lists the city and county commissioners and others involved in the 1950 causeway, built by Tidewater Construction Corporation with the consultation of Sverdrup & Parcel. Torras was also involved, as the executive clerk, in the construction of the second causeway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.J._Torras_Causeway

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

George Washington Carver School, 1939, Keller

Bryan Neck GA Bryan County George Washington Carver School Funded by Henry Ford Historic Marker African Americans Picture Image Photo © Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2013

On these grounds in 1939, Henry Ford built a school to serve the educational needs of the African-American children of lower Bryan County. Professor Herman Cooper was appointed as the Principal when the school opened later that year, originally with grades one through six. Ford named the school in honor of the prominent African-American educator and agriculturist from Tuskegee Institute, Dr. George Washington Carver. In March 1940 Dr. Carver attended the dedication ceremonies here for the new school named in his honor.

The shell of a gymnasium is located at the back of the property, but I’m unsure if it was a later addition to the school, or part of the Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church, located next door.

 

1 Comment

Filed under -BRYAN COUNTY, Keller GA

Site of Washington Pump & Oak, St. Marys

The Georgia Historical Commission marker, placed in 195 , notes: There were originally six wells one in each square, the only source of pure water for St. Marys, (until the tidal wave of 1818). On the day that the Father of the Country was buried at Mt. Vernon local services were also held throughout the nation. St. Marys citizens marched to the dock to meet a boat bearing a flag draped casket; bore it up Osborn St. and with due ceremony and firing of guns, buried it where the Well known as the “Washington Pump” now is. To mark the spot, four oaks were planted and have since been known as the “Washington Oaks”. Only this one remains. This well was driven the year of Washington´s burial and has ever since been called the “Washington Pump”.

In 1987, the last remaining “Washington Oak” was removed.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA