Tag Archives: Houses of Coastal Georgia

Hollybourne Cottage, 1890, Jekyll Island

hollybourne-jekyll-island-ga-front-elevation-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Superlative in appearance and history, Hollybourne is the only tabby-walled house to have been built in the cottage colony and the Maurices were the only family associated with the Jekyll Island Club from its inception until its disbanding in 1948. Charles Stewart Maurice was a Union midshipman in the Civil War, seeing service on several ships. After the war he took a job with the Lower Hudson Steamboat Company and was involved for a time in a tannery business with a childhood friend.

jekyll-island-ga-hollybourne-cottage-maurice-family-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Around the time of his marriage in 1869, Maurice worked as a timber supplier to the Oswego Midland Railroad for the construction of bridges. He entered into a partnership with Charles Kellogg in 1871 to build railway bridges and soon, the firm of Kellogg and Maurice was pioneering the construction of iron bridges. In 1884 the firm merged with several others to form the Union Bridge Company. Union Bridge built some of the best-known bridges of the era and made Maurice a very wealthy man. The Maurices lived in Athens, Pennsylvania, during much of this time.

hollybourne-jekyll-island-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vansihing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

When Maurice became one of the first members of the newly formed Jekyll Island Club he enlisted architect William H. Day to build his cottage. Day’s design for the house is of a style referred to as Jacobethan. The term was coined by Sir John Betjeman in 1933 to describe a Renaissance/Tudor Revival form blending Jacobean and Elizabethan elements.

hollybourne-cottage-corner-perspective-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

The Maurices spent all but two Christmases at Hollybourne from 1890-1942 and had a great love for the home and the island. Joan Hall McCash notes in The Jekyll Island Cottage Colony (Athens, University of Georgia Press, 1998) that the family was generous with others on the island at Christmas, and from about 1900-1920, Hollybourne was  the center of life during the club season.

hollybourne-cottage-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Hollybourne is the most architecturally interesting home on the island and its preservation should be commended.Though there has always been a desire to save it, its future was uncertain for many years.

hollybourne-cottage-porch-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Villa Marianna, 1928, Jekyll Island

villa-marianna-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Though Edwin and Sarah Gould essentially severed their ties to Jekyll after the death of their oldest son, Frank Miller Gould had fond memories of past winters spent on the island and commissioned architect Mogens Tvede to construct this cottage, among the last built during the club era. He named it for his daughter Marianne.

villa-marianna-breezeway-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Villa Marianna was one of the first large-scale renovations in Jekyll Island’s National Historic Landmark district and once housed the offices of the Jekyll Island Authority.

villa-marianna-courtyard-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

The courtyard at Villa Marianna is its most inviting feature and is a great spot for quiet reflection.

villa-marianna-nameplate-cipher-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

As the nameplate suggests, the house was completed in 1928, though the official marker outside the house dates it to 1929. Gould didn’t move in until 1929, but according to The Jekyll Island Club:Southern Haven for America’s Millionaires (William Barton McCash & June Hall McCash, Athens, UGA Press, 1989), the standard reference on the Jekyll Island Club, the home was “essentially complete” by October 1928.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Craftsman Cottage, St. Simons Island

st-simons-island-ga-historic-gablefront-cottage-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

Vernacular frame cottages of this type were once common on St. Simons, but are increasingly rare today. This one on Beachview Drive has definite Craftsman features, and a twin next door.

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

Bachlott-Peeples-Merrow House, Circa 1890, St. Marys

st-marys-ga-bachlott-peeples-merrow-house-photograph-copyright-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

This is now the office for Cumberland Island National Seashore.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Long-Bunkley-Briggs House, 1860, St. Marys

st-marys-ga-long-bunkley-briggs-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Bachlott-Porter House, 1911, St. Marys

st-marys-ga-bachlott-porter-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Arnow House, Circa 1834, St. Marys

st-marys-ga-arnow-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

This house was constructed by Joseph Sabastion Montiano of St. Augustine. Subsequent owners have been the Arnows, Millers, McClendons, Calhouns, and Registers.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA