Tag Archives: Jails of Coastal Georgia

Liberty County Jail, 1892, Hinesville

This was used as the jail until 1969. When groundbreaking for the new jail was done in 1970, Governor Lester Maddox condemned this structure as “a rotten, filthy rathole”. Harsh words, but they came at a time when jails of this era were being demolished and replaced all over Georgia. It also contained the residence of the jailer, who was often the county sheriff. The architect is unknown, but the builder was a Mr. Parkhill. Today, the jail is a free museum owned by the City of Hinesville. It’s open from 10-12 on Tuesdays and Fridays.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY, Hinesville GA

Fort Screven Guardhouse, 1905, Tybee Island

tybee island ga historic fort screven guard house photograph copyright brian brown vanishing coastal georgia usa 2016

Built by the U. S. Army, the Fort Screven Guard House served the military in various functions until being decommissioned in the 1940s. It briefly served as the Tybee Jail, in the 1950’s and 1960’s and became the Tybee Island Community Center in the 1970’s. Inappropriate modifications were made during these decades. Recent restoration work has undone many of the architecturally inappropriate modifications made over the years and it is a first class landmark, among the oldest public buildings on Tybee Island.

fortscrevenguardhouse1905tybeeislandga

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Tybee Island GA