Tag Archives: National Historic Landmarks

Hollybourne Cottage, 1890, Jekyll Island

hollybourne-jekyll-island-ga-front-elevation-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Superlative in appearance and history, Hollybourne is the only tabby-walled house to have been built in the cottage colony and the Maurices were the only family associated with the Jekyll Island Club from its inception until its disbanding in 1948. Charles Stewart Maurice was a Union midshipman in the Civil War, seeing service on several ships. After the war he took a job with the Lower Hudson Steamboat Company and was involved for a time in a tannery business with a childhood friend.

jekyll-island-ga-hollybourne-cottage-maurice-family-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Around the time of his marriage in 1869, Maurice worked as a timber supplier to the Oswego Midland Railroad for the construction of bridges. He entered into a partnership with Charles Kellogg in 1871 to build railway bridges and soon, the firm of Kellogg and Maurice was pioneering the construction of iron bridges. In 1884 the firm merged with several others to form the Union Bridge Company. Union Bridge built some of the best-known bridges of the era and made Maurice a very wealthy man. The Maurices lived in Athens, Pennsylvania, during much of this time.

hollybourne-jekyll-island-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vansihing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

When Maurice became one of the first members of the newly formed Jekyll Island Club he enlisted architect William H. Day to build his cottage. Day’s design for the house is of a style referred to as Jacobethan. The term was coined by Sir John Betjeman in 1933 to describe a Renaissance/Tudor Revival form blending Jacobean and Elizabethan elements.

hollybourne-cottage-corner-perspective-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

The Maurices spent all but two Christmases at Hollybourne from 1890-1942 and had a great love for the home and the island. Joan Hall McCash notes in The Jekyll Island Cottage Colony (Athens, University of Georgia Press, 1998) that the family was generous with others on the island at Christmas, and from about 1900-1920, Hollybourne was  the center of life during the club season.

hollybourne-cottage-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Hollybourne is the most architecturally interesting home on the island and its preservation should be commended.Though there has always been a desire to save it, its future was uncertain for many years.

hollybourne-cottage-porch-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Villa Marianna, 1928, Jekyll Island

villa-marianna-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Though Edwin and Sarah Gould essentially severed their ties to Jekyll after the death of their oldest son, Frank Miller Gould had fond memories of past winters spent on the island and commissioned architect Mogens Tvede to construct this cottage, among the last built during the club era. He named it for his daughter Marianne.

villa-marianna-breezeway-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Villa Marianna was one of the first large-scale renovations in Jekyll Island’s National Historic Landmark district and once housed the offices of the Jekyll Island Authority.

villa-marianna-courtyard-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

The courtyard at Villa Marianna is its most inviting feature and is a great spot for quiet reflection.

villa-marianna-nameplate-cipher-jekyll-island-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

As the nameplate suggests, the house was completed in 1928, though the official marker outside the house dates it to 1929. Gould didn’t move in until 1929, but according to The Jekyll Island Club:Southern Haven for America’s Millionaires (William Barton McCash & June Hall McCash, Athens, UGA Press, 1989), the standard reference on the Jekyll Island Club, the home was “essentially complete” by October 1928.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Solterra Dovecote, Circa 1890, Jekyll Island

jekyll-island-ga-solterra-cottage-dovecote-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Solterra Cottage, the retreat of Frederic and Frances Baker, was built in 1890 and became known for its lavish parties, even hosting the newly-elected President William McKinley, along with his wife and the Vice-President’s family, in 1899. A fire consumed the cottage in 1914, but this dovecote survived. Over the years, it was moved several times but has finally been placed between the ruins of Chicota and Hollybourne Cottage, near its original location.

jekyll-island-ga-solterra-dovecote-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Chicota Cottage Lion, 1897, Jekyll Island

chicota-cottage-jekyll-island-ga-corinthian-lion-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2017

A pair of Corinthian lions guarding an empty foundation are all that remain of Chicota Cottage, the beloved retreat of Edwin Gould, son of railroad financier Jay Gould. After Gould’s son Edwin II was killed in a hunting accident on Jekyll in 1917, Mr. Gould rarely returned to the island (his wife never returned). Frank Miller Gould used the house occasionally but when he built Villa Marianna, Chicota went into decline. The cottage was eventually razed.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

William Kehoe House, 1892, Savannah

savannah-ga-william-kehoe-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

Now a bed and breakfast inn, the Kehoe House is a center of tourist activity on Columbia Square. Built by an Irish immigrant iron worker who became one of the most prominent businessmen in the city, the house has had a storied history. After the Kehoe heirs sold it in 1930 it served as a boarding house and funeral home before being purchased by football legend Joe Namath in 1980. He originally planned on turning it into a night club but those plans never materialized and he sold it in 1989. Many tourists believe it to be haunted, likely from its days as a funeral home.

Savannah Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Francis M. Stone House, Circa 1818, Savannah

francis-m-stone-house-savannah-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

Considered one of the finest examples of Federal style architecture in Savannah, the restored Stone House is also located on idyllic Columbia Square. It is a private residence.

Savannah Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Isaiah Davenport House, 1820, Savannah

isaiah-davenport-house-savannah-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

Cited as the catalyst for Savannah’s nationally recognized preservation movement, the Isaiah Davenport House was spared from destruction for a funeral home parking lot in 1955 and has been painstakingly renovated over the years to its due place as one of Georgia’s architectural gems. Today, it’s open for tours and hosts numerous events throughout the year. Don’t miss it if you’re in Savannah; it’s on Columbia Square.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA