Tag Archives: National Register of Historic Places

St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church, 1876, Darien

Arguably Darien’s most beautiful church, St. Cyrpian’s can trace its origins to the years of devastation following the Civil War. Reverend Dr. James Wentworth Leigh arrived in the area from Great Britain in 1873 and initiated a project to provide a church for the freedmen of Darien. Donations came from Europe, Philadelphia, and elsewhere to assist the fledgling congregation in their quest to build a suitable home. They named their church St. Cyprian’s for the martyred African Bishop. Using the construction techniques they knew best, the men of St. Cyprian’s built the church using tabby and brick. It is one of the most significant tabby structures still in use.

Darien Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA

Nicholsonboro Baptist Church, 1890, Chatham County

200 former slaves from Jacob Waldburg’s plantation on St. Catherines Island first settled in the White Bluff area between the Little Ogeechee and Vernon Rivers in 1868. After purchasing 200 acres from John Nicholson in 1878, the community was first known as Nicholsonboro, then Nicholsonville. A church was established here by 1883 and the original (not pictured) still stands in poor but stable condition. The present structure, dating to circa 1890, is the most significant remaining landmark of the historic community.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Nicholsonville GA

Price Street Victorian Rowhouses, 1892, Savannah

These Queen Anne rowhouses have recently been restored.

Savannah Historic District, National Historic Landmark

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Second Empire House, 1873, Savannah

Savannah Historic District, National Historic Landmark

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Convent of Little Sisters of the Poor, 1899, Savannah

Built for George W. Owens in 1899, this house had perhaps its longest association as the Convent of Little Sisters of the Poor, a charitable Congregation of the Roman Catholic  Church. It has also served as a florist and is presently home to LaScala Italian Restaurant. It has been renovated several times since its construction.

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Matilda Krouskoff House, 1897, Savannah

Savannah Victorian Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Charles Seiler House, 1899, Savannah

Savannah Victorian Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA