Tag Archives: Restoration in Coastal Georgia

Tabby Slave Cabins, 1820s-1840s, Ossabaw Island

Modified for residential use in the 20th century and restored in the late 2000s, the three extant tabbies on Ossabaw Island represent the most significant surviving cluster of slave dwellings on the Georgia coast. They were part of the Morel family’s North End Plantation, which was among the most successful such operations in early Georgia. Though exact construction dates for the tabby row can’t be determined, extensive archaeological research has determined they were built between circa 1820-1840s. Various Ossabaw employees lived in these structures into the early 1990s and they were modified to accommodate modern needs. Nearly all traces of those modifications have been removed and restoration work has been done.

Tabby Slave Cabin No. 1 -Like the other two cabins, this was originally a saddlebag though the central chimney has been removed.

Tabby Slave Cabin No. 2 – This cabin retains its central chimney.

Tabby Slave Cabin No. 3- This cabin has been stabilized and will eventually be restored. Past modifications are still visible.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Ossabaw Island GA

The Skeet House, 1930s, Jekyll Island

Outdoor recreation was a primary goal of the Jekyll Island Club from its inception. Though hunting had fallen out of widespread popularity among club members by 1910, skeet and trap shooting remained popular among both men and women in the Club. The Skeet House was originally located a mile north of its present location on the Skeet and Trap Range used by members of the Jekyll Island Club. Due to policies governing developed and undeveloped land on the island, it was moved and restored in 2014 so it could be appreciated by the public.

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Sans Souci Boiler House, 1896, Jekyll Island

Originally used to supply heat to the adjacent Sans Souci Apartments, the old boiler house is now home to the Island Sweets Shoppe.

Jekyll Island Club National Historic Landmark

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Morgan Indoor Tennis Center, 1930, Jekyll Island

By the early 1900s, tennis had eclipsed hunting in popularity among members of the Jekyll Island Club. In 1930 this shingle-sided facility was completed and named in honor of Club president J. P. Morgan, Jr. A renovation was completed in 1986 but a public-private partnership between the Jekyll Island Authority and the Jekyll Island Club Hotel led to its full restoration as a conference center in the mid-2010s.

Jekyll Island Club National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Hamilton Plantation Slave Cabin, Circa 1806, St. Simons Island

Built for servants working in the main house of James Hamilton’s Gascoigne Bluff plantation, this slave cabin is one of four surviving on St. Simons. Two more survive on the lands of the former Hamilton Plantation. As evidenced by this authentic restoration, house slaves were generally kept in nicer dwellings than field hands and other laborers. Popularly known as The Tabby House, it was restored by Eugene Lewis in 1931 and again in 1995 by master tabby craftsmen J. Felton Tate, Sr., Renaldo Tate, Sr., and Renaldo Tate, Jr.. After the plantation house burned in the 1890s, a lumber mill was located on the property for many years. The cabin served as a doctor’s office during that era. Today, it is part of the Epworth By The Sea campus of the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church and is used as an event space.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

Obelisk Flour Mural, Pembroke

This mural was uncovered in 2011 when the City of Pembroke was working on revitalizing its downtown area. A new mural was planned for this wall, but when workers uncovered this one, it was decided that it was an important asset to the history of the community and was left intact. It was a great save on Pembroke’s part, as I’ve seen several historic murals painted over in towns all over South Georgia in the past few years. There’s a similar mural in Ochlocknee, though its condition is not as good.

Leave a comment

Filed under -BRYAN COUNTY, Pembroke GA

Black Creek Elementary School, Bryan County

When built, this was known as Black Creek Consolidated School, but is best known as Black Creek Elementary School. It was recently restored and is now home to the Bryan County Board of Education.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -BRYAN COUNTY, Black Creek GA