Battery Brumby [completed 1899] was the largest of Fort Screven’s complex of gun emplacements. Constructed between 1897-1900. the batteries [Brumby, Garland, Fenwick, Backus, Gant, and Habersham] served as coastal fortifications during the Spanish-American War. Between the world wars, the artillery was removed and melted for further use.
Battery Garland [completed 1899] now houses the Tybee Island Museum, operated by the Tybee Island Historical Society.
Fort Screven Historic District, National Register of Historic Places