This rarely noticed historic marker beside the Visitor’s Club gives some insight as to the history of the busy F. J. Torras Causeway connecting the mainland to St. Simons Island. The route was named in honor of longtime Brunswick engineer Fernando Joseph Torras in 1953. Torras was the engineer of the original modern causeway, built in 1923, built by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Works. The larger plaque lists the city and county commissioners and others involved in the 1950 causeway, built by Tidewater Construction Corporation with the consultation of Sverdrup & Parcel. Torras was also involved, as the executive clerk, in the construction of the second causeway.