Tag Archives: Boarding Houses & Hotels of Coastal Georgia

Tindol Hotel, 1920s, Pembroke

Thanks to Jan Deal Hendrix for her assistance with identifying this property, and many others in Pembroke. The Tindol family owned the hotel until the mid-1990s. Jan recalls that Mrs. Tindol lived here with her daughter Agnes, who had a beauty shop in downtown Pembroke.

Pembroke Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under -BRYAN COUNTY, Pembroke GA

Boarding House, Circa 1926, St. Simons Island

After the first causeway was built in 1924, automobile travel to St. Simons became a reality. Boarding houses filled an immediate need for overnight visitors and several from the era remain.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

Boarding House, Circa 1929, St. Simons Island

This is located a block from the beach.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

King and Prince Hotel, 1941, St. Simons Island

This landmark hotel traces its origins to Morgan T. Wynne and Franklin J. Horne, who first opened it as a seaside dance club in 1935. On 2 July 1941, the King and Prince Hotel, designed by Laurence Miller and Felton Davis in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, opened to rave reviews. It immediately became the hotel of record on St. Simons.

It was occupied by the Navy as a coast-watching and training facility during World War II, reopening in 1947.

Renovations in the 1970s and 1980s modernized rooms and infrastructure, but retained the historical integrity of the property. An expansion doubled the number of rooms in 2003, again, with a focus on maintaining its iconic appearance. Now known as the King and Prince Beach & Golf Resort, it remains as nostalgic and popular as ever. And with the loss of the DeSoto Beach Hotel on Tybee Island in 1999, the King and Prince is the last of Georgia’s grand old oceanfront hotels.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, St. Simons Island GA

Rose Manor Guest House, 1889, Brunswick

brunswick-ga-rose-manor-guesthouse-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-2016

In its 20th-century heyday, this was a guest house, though it’s probably best remembered as a private residence today. It’s been restored since I made this photograph in 2011 and is now for sale.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Townsend House, Circa 1905, Eulonia

Eulonia GA McIntosh Manor Bed and Breakfast US 17 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Originally built as a boarding house, this fine old home on US 17 now serves as a bed and breakfast known as McIntosh Manor.

http://www.mcintoshmanorga.com/

1 Comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Eulonia GA

Abandoned Tourist Cabins, US 17, Darien

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-coastal-highway-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

Common on all of America’s major highways from the 1930s to the 1960s, “tourist cabins” like these were the forerunners of motels and have largely disappeared from the American landscape today.

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

These are quite well-preserved and likely among the best examples remaining on the coast.

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-satellite-dish-cedar-tree-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

 

3 Comments

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA

Veranda House, 1885, Brunswick

Veranda House 1885 Brunswick GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2014

This is also known as the Marlin House. Some sources date it to 189o.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Sandiford-Goodbread House, 1870, St. Marys

This is now used as a bed and breakfast inn. The local historic marker dates it as circa 1885, but on the inn’s website, it’s dated to 1870. I’m not sure which is correct. It was built by Samuel Burns, who sold it to Ralph Sandiford. In 1901, steamboat captain Walton Goodbread (Gutbrodt) purchased the home. For a time after that it was used for overflow guests of the Riverview Inn, and finally, before its present incarnation it served as Dixon’s Boarding House.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA

Riverview Hotel, 1916, St. Marys

The historic Riverview Hotel rests on the banks of the St. Marys River. It’s the hotel nearest to the Cumberland Island Ferry and Visitor Center for Cumberland Island National Seashore. It has been owned and operated by the Brandon Family since the 1920′s. Sallie Brandon purchased the Hotel with the help of her two sisters, Miss Semora and Miss Ethel.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under -CAMDEN COUNTY, St. Marys GA