Tag Archives: Fort King George

Replica of a Scottish Highlander’s Colonial Cottage, Fort King George

Located at Fort King George, this is a reconstruction/replica of a Scottish Highlander’s cottage. It’s the style of dwelling some of the earliest settlers of Georgia would have called home and it’s very primitive, with dirt floors, mud walls, and a wattle frame. It’s hard to imagine how difficult life must have been for those pioneers.

Fort King George Darien GA Moss Draped Cedar Tree Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

There’s a secluded pond on the walk to the cottage.

Scottish Highlander Cottage Reconstruction Fort King George Darien GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

The interior is quite small and it’s impossible to imagine a family of any size living in such a space.

Scottish Highlander Cottage Interior Fort King George Darien GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

A depiction in the museum shows the formal dress of a Scottish Highlander around the time of Darien’s founding.

Scottish Highlander Tartan Fort King George Museum Darien GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Darien, Georgia

2 Comments

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA, Fort King George GA

Fort King George, 1721, Darien

Fort King George Darien GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

The first British outpost in present-day Georgia, Fort King George was built and commanded by Colonel John “Tuscarora Jack” Barnwell in 1721, under the auspices of South Carolina Governor Francis Nicholson. Upon its construction it was the southernmost fort in Bristish North America, manned by His Majesty’s Independent Company of Foot. The British claimed the land along the Altamaha River as part of the South Carolina colony as a protection against Spanish forces, who sought to expand their reach northward from Florida. Colonel Barnwell died in 1724 and a mysterious fire claimed the fort in 1726. Rebuilt, it remained in use as a garrison until 1732 when it was officially abandoned. Upon its ruins General Oglethorpe founded Darien in 1736.

Fort King George Darien GA Colonial Stockade Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

The blockhouse was built of cypress logs. Its construction proved no simple matter in the wilderness of Coastal Georgia. Though Nicholson and Barnwell had requested fit young soldiers, they were instead supplied with members of the Regiment of Invalids, veterans who in one way or another were not capable of heavy service. The British welfare system of the day allowed them light duty and by 1722 about 100 soldiers were sent from a hospital in Port Royal, South Carolina, to Fort King George.

Fort King George Darien GA Stockade Gun Embrasure Port Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

From embrasures (gun-ports) on the top level of the blockhouse, soldiers kept watch over the Altamaha River delta. Guardhouses, or sentry towers, were also essential to the site’s security.

Fort King George Darien GA Sentry Guardhouse Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

None of the original fortification survives; the structures seen today were built using original plans in 1988. Besides the blockhouse, an officers’ quarters and workshop were also reconstructed.

Fort King George Darien GA Outbuildings Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Fort King George Darien GA Interior of Residence Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Barracks were located at the rear of the property and provided quarters for His Majesty’s Independent Company of Foot.

Fort King George Darien GA Barracks Exterior Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Fort King George Darien GA Barracks Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Fort King George Darien GA Barracks Hearth Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Black Island Creek flows behind the barracks.

Black Island Creek from Fort King George Darien GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA