Tag Archives: Museums of Coastal Georgia

King-Tisdell Cottage, 1896, Savannah

Moved in 1970 to save it from demolition, this ornate Victorian cottage was built by W. W. Aimar. It is known today as the King-Tisdell Cottage for Eugene and Sara King, and Mrs. King’s second husband, Robert Tisdell. It is now home to the Museum of Black History and is an integral part of Savannah’s most historic 19th century African-American neighborhood.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA

Jekyll Island Club Stables, 1897

The stables for the Jekyll Island Club were designed by Charles Alling Gifford, a favored architect of the club membership. The facility has served as a museum for many years and was recently rebranded as Mosaic, the Jekyll Island Museum.

Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Jekyll Island GA

Bluestein House, Circa 1870, Darien

This landmark was the family home of the owners of Bluestein’s Department Store; it now houses the Burning of Darien Museum.

West Darien Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA

Owens-Thomas House, 1819, Savannah

owens thomas house savannah ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing coastal georgia usa 2016

Designed by William Jay, one of the first professional architects in the United States, for prominent Savannah cotton merchant Richard Richardson, this house is considered one of the most important of the English Regency style in America. Construction began in 1816 and was completed in 1819. When Richardson fell on hard times, not long after building the house, it passed from the possession of the Bank of the United States to Mary Maxwell, who operated it as one of the premier boarding-houses in the city. So central to the social scene it was that the Marquis de Lafayette lodged and made a speech from here on his 1825 American tour. From 1830 until 1951 it was owned by George Welshman Owens and his descendants. Owens, a wealthy lawyer and planter, also served as a congressman and mayor of Savannah. His granddaughter, Miss Margaret Thomas, bequeathed it to Telfair Academy in 1951. Today, this designated National Historic Landmark is open to the public and operated by the Telfair Museums.

owens thomas house museum savannah ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing coastal georgia usa 2016

National Historic Landmark

1 Comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY, Savannah GA