Tag Archives: US 17: The Coastal Highway in Georgia

Ebenezer Presbyterian Church & Reverend Joseph Williams Memorial, Freedmen’s Grove

Freedmens Grove GA Liberty County Midway Area Ebenezer Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Founded in 1887 by the Reverend Joseph Williams, Ebenezer Presbyterian is an important African-American congregation. Reverend Williams’s headstone, which faces the church from across US 17, reads: In Memory of Rev. Joseph Williams – Founder of Presbyterianism among the colored people of Georgia – Born in Providence Island West Indies A. D. 1805 – Died at Riceboro Ga U.S.A. Nov. 22, 1899.

Freedmens Grove GA Liberty County Reverend Joseph Williams Memorial Ebenezer Presbyterian Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

“A Chronicle of Black History in Liberty County, Georgia”, by Lillie Walthour Gillard, gives insight into the work of the Reverend Mr. Williams, as he was widely known.

The Reverend Joseph Williams, a native of the West Indies, came to Liberty County from Macon, Georgia, in the year 1867. On April 12, 1868, he organized a Presbyterian church in the building of “Old Midway” church with 300 members and worshipped there for eighteen years. This congregation became part of Knox Presbytery and of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., and was known as the Midway Presby­terian Church. Following a period of controversy over the rights of occupancy of Old Midway-Congre­gational or Presbyterian-the Reverend Mr. Williams organized a group of forty-six persons formerly members of a church pastored by Dr. C. C. Jones. In 1880 the church moved to Riceboro where a new building was constructed with the assistance of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A.

http://libertyhistory.org/topics/black-history/61-a-chronicle-of-black-history-in-liberty-county-georgia

1 Comment

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY, Freedmen's Grove GA

Townsend House, Circa 1905, Eulonia

Eulonia GA McIntosh Manor Bed and Breakfast US 17 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Originally built as a boarding house, this fine old home on US 17 now serves as a bed and breakfast known as McIntosh Manor.

http://www.mcintoshmanorga.com/

1 Comment

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Eulonia GA

Sidney Lanier Bridge, 2003, Brunswick

Sidney Lanier Bridge Brunswick GA From Jekyll Island Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

At 7779 feet, the Sidney Lanier Bridge has the longest span in Georgia. Reaching a height of 480 feet, it’s a replacement for the 1956 vertical-lift bridge of the same name. On 7 November 1972 the African Neptune struck the earlier bridge, resulting in ten deaths. On 3 May 1987 that bridge was again struck, this time by the Polish freighter Ziemia Bialostocka. Like Savannah’s Talmadge Bridge, the new bridge’s cable-stayed construction is more stable and allows the necessary greater height for the booming container ship traffic of the Georgia coast.

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Abandoned Tourist Cabins, US 17, Darien

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-coastal-highway-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

Common on all of America’s major highways from the 1930s to the 1960s, “tourist cabins” like these were the forerunners of motels and have largely disappeared from the American landscape today.

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

These are quite well-preserved and likely among the best examples remaining on the coast.

abandoned-motel-tourist-court-us-highway-17-darien-ga-satellite-dish-cedar-tree-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-coastal-georgia-usa-20141

 

3 Comments

Filed under -MCINTOSH COUNTY, Darien GA

Brunswick-St. Simons Causeway Marker, 1950

Brunswick St Simons Island F J Torras Causeway Historic Marker Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

This rarely noticed historic marker beside the Visitor’s Club gives some insight as to the history of the busy F. J. Torras Causeway connecting the mainland to St. Simons Island. The route was named in honor of longtime Brunswick engineer Fernando Joseph Torras in 1953. Torras was the engineer of the original modern causeway, built in 1923, built by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Works. The larger plaque lists the city and county commissioners and others involved in the 1950 causeway, built by Tidewater Construction Corporation with the consultation of Sverdrup & Parcel. Torras was also involved, as the executive clerk, in the construction of the second causeway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.J._Torras_Causeway

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

The Visitor’s Club, 1930, Brunswick

Brunswick Visitors Club Francis L Abreu Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coasatal Georgia USA 2015

When US 17, the Coastal Highway, was the main artery on the Atlantic seaboard from Virginia to Florida, the Brunswick Board of Trade & the Sea Island Company commissioned Francis L. Abreu to design this welcome center at the entrance to the St. Simons Causeway. Abreu, a famous architect in his own right, had collaborated with Addison Mizner on the original Cloister Hotel.

Brunswick GA Visitors Club Francis L Abreu Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

It was originally advertised as “Brunswick’s Greeting to Vacationists-Georgia’s Gateway to the Road to Romance and Recreation”. The building is in immediate need of preservation. We can only hope that Brunswick will recognize its importance and not have the same dismissive view of it that they’ve had of the historic Dart House, just down the road.

Brunsiwick GA Board of Trade Visitors Club Francis Abreu Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Abreu was born into a privileged Cuban-American background in 1896. His parents owned a sugar plantation and also kept a home in upstate New York. He was a member of the track team at Cornell University and served in the U. S. Navy in World War I.  After earning a degree in architecture, he moved to Fort Lauderdale, where his parents had relocated, and was one of the most active early builders in the city’s first real estate boom. He met his future wife, May Patterson on Sea Island in 1938. They later settled in Atlanta where they were active philanthropists.

Brunswick GA Visitors Club 1930 Mediterranean Revival Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

This is arguably the most prominent public building he designed still standing in Georgia. It should be preserved and National Register of Historic Places recognition sought.

Brunswick GA Board of Trade Building Side Elevation Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

http://abreufoundation.org/history/

16 Comments

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY, Brunswick GA

Ogeechee River at Kings Ferry

Ogeechee River Looking West Kings Ferry Landing Chatham Coiunty GA Sunset Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

This was shot at sunset, looking west.

 

1 Comment

Filed under -CHATHAM COUNTY

Needwood Baptist Church, 1885, Glynn County

Needwood Baptist Church New Hope Glynn County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2015

Portions of this church were originally built by freed slaves on nearby Broadfield (now Hofwyl-Broadfield) Plantation in the late 1870s, where it was known as Broadfield Baptist Church. It was removed to this location and took on its present appearance in 1885.  It’s one of the most important remaining African-American vernacular churches in Georgia and a familiar landmark to travelers along U.S. Highway 17. It’s just south of the McIntosh County line.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -GLYNN COUNTY

Abandoned Store, Liberty County

RIceboro GA Liberty County Sandy Run Community Abandoned Store US Highway 17 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2014

This is located in the Sandy Run community, near Riceboro.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY

Poole’s, Riceboro

Riceboro GA Liberty County Block Store Car Wash US Highway 17 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing Coastal Georgia USA 2014

Thanks to Peter Martin for the identification. He recalls a diner and auto parts store being located here and says there was a large peach or orange “sign” where the car wash is now located.

 

4 Comments

Filed under -LIBERTY COUNTY, Riceboro GA